2K Sports and the NBA announced back in February the new NBA 2K LEAGUE for 2K Pro-Am, which will make it’s debut in NBA 2K18. Here we have put together an ultimate and comprehensive list of details and info about #NBA2KLEAGUE. This includes how to join NBA 2K LEAGUE, try outs, draft, signups, salary, teams, player requirements, game managers, key dates, and more! We will update this as more info is made available.
KEY DATES / SCHEDULE
- Jan. 1st, 2018 – Jan. 31st, 2018 (Qualifying Stage): Players need to win 50 games in NBA 2K18’s Pro-Am (Team and/or Walk-On) to move on to the second stage – tryouts.
- February 2018 (Tryout Stage): Digital tryouts for 85 spots
- March 2018 (Draft)
- April 2018 (Player Relocation)
- May/August 2018 (Start of the Inaugural Season)
PARTICIPATION / QUALIFICATIONS
- Players must be 18 or older
- Must complete an online application by January 31
- Open to anyone from around the world
- You can only tryout on Xbox One or PS4
- To be eligible for the tryout stage, from Jan 1 – 31, players need to win 50 games in NBA 2K18’s Pro-Am Mode (Team, Walk-On or combo of both) and complete the online process. (Winning more than 50 games doesn’t increase a player’s standing).
- Players can compete as a walk-on, part of a team or a combination of the two. Players will be using their existing MyPLAYERS for this stage of the qualifying process.
- You will be able to try out from the comfort of your own home and NBA 2K League is committed to equal opportunity for everyone.
PERFORMANCE STANDARDS / TRYOUTS
- After a player qualifies, digital tryouts (for 85 spots) will be held in February. In-depth analytics (more than just basic stats) on all players will be done to ensure the best will qualify for the draft pool.
- Will have a balanced playing environment to identify the best players. More details coming soon.
- Have to play in tryouts and have to do well in tryouts to get drafted
- Players will not qualify based solely on social followers or marketability. Playing ability is paramount.
- What abilities, outside of 2K, will NBA teams look for in potential players?
Strong moral character, great competitor, well-rounded skill set, and a team player.
PLAYER INFO & DRAFT
- After the top 85 players are identified, 85 players will be placed in the draft pool and invited to the draft.
- A live draft will be held in March 2018 and will be aired publicly / be a public event.
- Players will move to their respective cities after the draft. Players will be provide housing by their respective teams and teams will decide the housing structure and practice facilities. Players will potentially have access to things like their NBA team facilities.
- Players will sign a six-month contract with the franchise that drafts them
- Players will be paid a competitive, guaranteed salary, along with housing and benefits. In addition, players will have the opportunity to earn additional money during the season.
- There will be background checks for players
- There will be drug testing for players (unconfirmed)
NBA 2K LEAGUE SPECIFICATIONS
- The NBA 2K League will be using a special build/version of the game to limit or eliminate instability. Building a dedicated environment for the league and working closely with 2K and their development team. Working with developers to create the optimal format for the league and 2K esports.
- Goal of a level playing field, and parity will be created through balanced characters and constant analysis of the meta.
- Which console the league will use (PS4 or XB1) = To be Determined (TBD)
- Players will be flown in to a central studio (or two) for the actual games (will help ensure best network connection for games).
- The NBA 2K League is leaning toward 6 minute quarters to mirror the Pro-Am experience, but this is unconfirmed.
- Players will wear league branded apparel / uniforms
Player Builds / Characters
- NBA 2K Leaguers will not be using their MyPLAYERS from personal use. But once a player is drafted, they’ll create and use their own avatar in the game, with ratings closer to 90.
Season & Teams
- Inaugural NBA 2K League season scheduled to start May 2018 – August 2018 with a playoffs and finals in August.
- Teams (17): Boston Celtics, Cleveland Cavaliers, Dallas Mavericks, Detroit Pistons, Golden State Warriors, Indiana Pacers, Memphis Grizzlies, Miami Heat, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Knicks, Orlando Magic, Philadelphia 76ers, Portland Trail Blazers, Sacramento Kings, Toronto Raptors, Utah Jazz, Washington Wizards
- Expansion: Right now NBA 2K League is focused on the 17 teams for the 2018 season, but expect expansion both domestically and internationally in their future.
- No trades in year one
- Bench players / extra players on roster in case a player is out due to illness or struggling in the game? = TBD
- Tournaments will be included within regular season schedule as well (consisting of the 85 drafted players).
VIEWERSHIP / SPONSORS / BUSINESS / MEDIA
- One of the goals for this league is to build global audience. Between the NBA 2K community, NBA fans and esports fans, confidence in having a great audience.
- Potential partners have been very receptive
- Likely will have a TV partner, as well as streams and digital option (To be named later)
- As the league grows, more opportunities will arise with the league and its teams – NBA 2K League would love for the 2K community to jump on those opportunities.
NBA 2K LEAGUE OFFICIAL ACCOUNTS
- Official NBA 2K League (Twitter – @NBA2KLeague)
- Brendan Donohue, NBA 2K League Managing Director (Twitter – @2KLeagueMD)
- Colin Hayes, Bucks (Twitter – @Colin_Hayes)
- Anthony Muraco, Cavaliers (Twitter – @AnthonyMuraco)
- Lang Whitaker, Grizzlies (Twitter – @langwhitaker)
- Ben Spoont, Heat (Twitter – @benspoont)
- Josh Barney, Jazz (Twitter – @Sprtakuz)
- Claire Kaido, Knicks (Twitter – @iamclairemariex)
- Chris Toussaint, Magic (Twitter – @Christssnt)
- Roger Caneda, Mavericks (Twitter – @RogerCaneda)
- Cody Parrent, Pacers (Twitter – @CodyParrent)
- Adam Rubin, Pistons (Twitter – @AdamRubinNBA)
- Hunter Leigh, Warriors (Twitter – @HunterBLeigh)
- Grant Paranjape, Wizards (Twitter – @Keiranthil)
- 76ers, Blazers, Celtics, Kings, Raptors = TBD
- Official NBA 2K League Logo
- Official website – nba2kleague.com (news & info, full website coming in 2018).
- All 17 NBA 2K League Team Logos